- The procedure may differ somewhat from drug rehab to drug rehab, but generally those who use evidence-based practices make use of this approach.
What to Expect in Drug Rehab:
- Physical Assessment: When you start drug rehab, your physician will each spend some time to you to evaluate your addiction and develop a detox plan. The detox plan is going to be in line with the forms of drugs you were using, so it’s critical that you’re honest with all the physician about every drug you have got taken recently.
- Psychological Assessment: A psychiatrist, preferably one who focuses primarily on addiction, will assess you for issues such as anxiety, depression, bipolar, or other emotional or psychological issues. The initial assessment is not considered a “final” one, as the fact you might be still intoxicated by drugs may color the picture significantly. For example, many people may feel depressed at this point, but when they are completely free of drugs, the depression lifts.
- Detox: This element of drug rehab is often the one people fear most. However, top-notch rehabs are extremely experienced in developing a treatment arrange for detoxification which is as comfortable as you are able to. They will often use medications to relieve the signs of withdrawal, such as for example Suboxone or Valium. The most effective rehabs will simply use these substitutes for a short span of the time to facilitate withdrawal, the goal being complete freedom from mood-altering drugs.
- Therapy: The evidence implies that group peer treatments are still the most truly effective as a type of treatment plan for drug addiction. Although individual therapy is also essential, there is absolutely no compelling evidence that more individual and less group treatment therapy is effective. In reality, the alternative is true. By connecting with other people who have your same impulses and compulsions, you develop strategies to stay free from drugs and alcohol.
- Physical Fitness: Most drug rehabs today understand that they must address not just the physical addiction to drugs, nevertheless the health regarding the body, mind, and spirit. Physical exercise is an essential part for the recovery process. For starters, exercise triggers endorphins, the body’s natural chemicals which make you’re feeling good. It is critical which you develop techniques to feel well without drugs or alcohol, and exercise is an excellent way to do this.
- Nutritional Counseling: Diet make a difference to the manner in which you feel in recovery. Too many processed carbs make us feel sluggish. A lot of sugar can mean swift changes in moods. Nutrition is critical to maintaining a much keel during the early recovery.
- Alternative Approaches: Many rehab centers offer alternative therapies as well while you are in treatment. Acupuncture has been confirmed to be an efficient pain management treatment, and it is remarkably popular among recovering addicts who have chronic pain. Meditation, massage, yoga, and equine therapy are some other modalities utilized in quality rehabs.
- Aftercare Planning: where do you turn whenever you leave the safety of this rehab? How will you avoid triggers – people places and items that might lead you returning to drugs or alcohol? How will you develop a support network in the home? Where do you turn if the impulse to use drugs becomes overwhelming? These questions should be addressed in your aftercare planning. The master plan will include specific strategies as well as people to contact whenever you return home.
- Discharge: You have completed treatment and you are at the very least 1 month free from drugs and alcohol. Discharge day may be exhilarating, joyous, and terrifying. Follow your aftercare plan together with advice of one’s rehab therapist and avoid triggers to have the best chance of long-term recovery.
Be sure that you read our full article about Rehab Centres!